2017 Legislative Priorities
One Size Does Not Fit All
- Rural development and housing incentives – Work on a regional level to create, support, and promote programs and incentives that are compatible with rural areas.
- Downtown Development Authorities and Tax Increment Financing
- Brownfield Redevelopment Programs
- Economic development and job growth incentives
- Affordable and “Missing Middle” housing incentives
- Talent and Training programs
- Access to Capital programs
- Rural Set Asides
- Infrastructure & Education Investment – support serious investment in infrastructure and education that helps northern Michigan compete in a global economy.
- Support outcomes of the 21st century infrastructure commission that benefit northern Michigan or target rural communities
- Defend northern Michigan communities from changes to Public Act 51
- Narrow the gap for K-12 per pupil funding
- Support increased higher education investment and capital outlay
- Improve Northern Michigan Business Climate – Support and advance policies that
- Track and report changes to health care laws
- Defend funding for rural hospitals
- Support legislative clarification of the “dark stores” property tax assessment theory
- Advocate for energy policy that is conducive to reliable and affordable energy in northern Michigan
- Support policies that improve and invest in tourism and agri-tourism industries
- Maintain Pure Michigan campaign funding levels
- Defend Post Labor Day School Start
- Expand and improve administration of the H2B guest visa program
- Competitive taxes for growth, production and sales of craft beer, wine, distilling industries
VIEW OUR ONE-PAGE PRIORITIES DOCUMENT: Alliance_2017_Legislative_Priority_Handout_FINAL
2017 Budget Priorities
- Maintain Pure Michigan campaign funding levels – $36 million
- Narrow the gap in K-12 per pupil funding
- Increased investment in impactful programs that provide skill training and talent attraction
- Increase of $20 million for the Skilled Trades Training Fund (STTF)
- Increase of $10 million for P.A.T.H. worker training program
- Alpena Natural Resources Trust Fund Grant – $205,000 for Starlight Beach Splash Pad & Beach Improvements
- Northern Michigan Community College Capital Outlay Projects
- Northwestern Michigan College 21st Century Innovation Center capital outlay project
- Alpena Community College Center for Health Sciences and Student Success Capital Outlay project
- North Central Michigan College Capital Outlay project
The Northern Michigan Chamber Alliance is committed to:
- Making it easier for businesses in northern Michigan to be competitive.
- Helping strong business sectors remain strong and continue job creation in our region.
- Ensuring our workforce is educated and prepared for the future needs of northern Michigan businesses.
- Promoting investment in our public transportation and business infrastructure, including energy development, road systems, harbors, airports and broadband connectivity.
Your voice makes a difference.
The Northern Michigan Chamber Alliance Executives, Staff, Board members and Government Relations committees are called to action to support these priorities by educating members to advocate the priorities with legislators.